Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dehydrator Fun!!

We recently received a dehydrator as a gift from my parents. I was so excited because I knew that rather than having to cut up and freeze the remainder of our Costco size box of fruit, I could now make delicious and nutritious snacks for all of us to snack on. It will also be great for preparing veggies and other foods that we can take with us this summer when we go camping.












I started off by using up some of the bananas that I got for so cheap the other night at Rosauers Produce Sale! Adam came to bed that night and admitted he had just polished off about 1/2 the container of banana chips I had just finished earlier that day. I guess we will be making more of these soon :)








We made beef jerky that turned out pretty good...next time I think we would make slightly thicker chunks on leave it on the dehydrator for a little less time...we used a store package for seasoning and cure, but next time I think we will try the teriyaki marinade!

Teriyaki Marinade
1 lb sliced meat
1 c teriyaki sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1 packet teriyaki jerky seasoning
1 packet jerky cure







Apple sliced were a hit too...pretty sure these were polished off with about 3 days as well! It's nice to know I can be giving Amanda healthy snacks that aren't loaded with preservatives and lots of added sugars! I'm lucky to have a little "health nut" who loves her fruits and veggies anyway, but Amanda was requesting to have these healthy treats and it put a smile on my face.













We also made fruit roll ups with applesauce! What are some of your favorite dehydrated treats?? I can't wait to try new foods on the dehydrator and find new family favorites!!

1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for an award :)
    http://sarahschuelke.blogspot.com/2013/01/nominated.html

    ReplyDelete