Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Beginning of Advent!

Advent is here!! I love this time of year...the coming of Christmas! As a mom, it can be hard to find time to do anything other than the daily chores that encompass our lives, but I've been finding a peace by starting my days by getting up and spending time with Our Lord. No matter how stressful and chaotic the mornings sometimes seem, as long as I make time for Him, my day starts out brighter. It has been a busy week for us... I've been preparing for an Open House Christmas Bazaar for my business, playing with the kids during the day and sewing like crazy at night. Adam has been working 7 days a week and for now, there is no end to that in sight...the joys of retail!! And I'm pretty sure by the end of the week, Amanda will have had me read just about every kids book in this house!! Which if you've seen our house, you know that's a LOT!! (Mom insight: Garage Sales and Used Book Stores are AMAZING for stocking your home with lots of reading material!) I love that she loves to read and learn...today she shocked me by picking out a few "sight words" in a book and reciting them!! WOW...can you say proud moment for mom! 


This past week as I have been preparing for the Open House Christmas Bazaar, I decided to make a few re-useable sandwich bags...I'm trying to perfect them...and will be adding them to my product line soon for Bridger Babies. 


I've also been trying to add new breakfast meals to our meal plans for a little variety...this week I decided to give a new spin to our omelets. Omelets are great because it is a good way to get through leftover veggies and meats. We had lots of ham left over after Thanksgiving, so I  diced it and stored it in the freezer. The key ingredient that I added to our omelets this week was the cream cheese...I melted a tbsp of cream cheese and poured it over the veggies before closing the omelet...man was it tasty!!



With Adam working so much, I try to have dinner ideas that work great for when he's gone too! I tend to go for salads on the nights Adam is gone...as they just aren't his favorite. I made my favorite go-to salad this week...one that I had learned to make back when I was with Pampered Chef...one I wanted to share with all of you. 

Harvest Chicken Salad
1 pkg fresh baby spinach leaves ( I was out of spinach so I actually used Romaine this time...still tastes great)
2 c diced roasted chicken
1 c diced celery
2 medium apples
1/2 c chopped onion
3/4 c dried cranberries
1/2 c toasted pecan halves
mandarin orange slices

Dressing:
2 oranges
1/3 c mayo
2 tbsp stone-ground mustard 
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
1 small garlic clove, pressed

For dressing, zest one orange using zester to measure 2 tsp zest. Juice oranges to measure 1/2 c fresh squeezed orange juice. Combine zest, mayo, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic, whisk until smooth. Add orange juice and continue to whisk. Combine all salad ingredients. 

 We made a "Santa" Advent Calendar! Amanda was so so excited. Amanda gets to put on a cotton ball each day until Christmas. By Christmas, Santa's beard will be full!!


One last favorite, easy recipe for all you mommas! Asparagus...oh how we LOVE asparagus!! Preheat oven to 375. Spread your asparagus out on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil and small amount of salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. When you take it out of oven sprinkle with a little shredded Parmesan and let melt. Most delicious way we've tried!! Have any other delicious ways to prepare veggies...let me know!! Amanda loves veggies and I'm always trying to find new ways to season and make more veggies!!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that asparagus recipe, Jamie! I've made it every couple weeks since you gave it to me and even CeeJay loves it. Going to have to try that chicken salad one...
    - Kiersten

    ReplyDelete